Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ghosts in the House???

Or is it just time for a new washer? My trouble started on Monday night when Merridee called and asked if I had noticed that she had put the sheets in the washer. I hadn't noticed because the long trek downstairs required more energy than I had when I got home. She said that she had just started the washer and left the lid up so they could soak all day and not get sour before I put them in the dryer. I promptly thought "I will just deal with that tomorrow." Our washer has been losing water out the bottom just about as fast as it can fill up so I knew that there probably wouldn't be a lot of water left in it. So that was my last thought about the sheets that night.

The next morning as I got out of the shower, I thought I could hear the washer running. Mike had left for work about 45 minutes earlier and McKade was still in bed sound asleep so with a little trepidation I went downstairs to see if I really did hear the washer running. Sure enough, as I got there it had just finished filling up with water. Boy that really got me going. Now who in the heck had started the washer? I knew Mike couldn't possibly have done it, but I called him at work to see just in case. I think he thought I had finally slipped over the edge when I asked if he had started the washer. I checked McKade and he was still asleep. My adrenaline was starting to go pretty good at this point.

I admit I had all kinds of weird thoughts going through my head. Could something have possibly happened to Merridee that I hadn't heard and she didn't want to leave this mortal earth without finishing the laundry? Could this possibly be Caroline, the ghost, that Merridee and Miranda like to talk about? But why in the heck would she care if my laundry was done? Could it possibly be that midget that McKade, Lainee and Mom all think they have seen in our house? No, there wasn't a chair pushed up to the washer.

After about 10 minutes of consternation and puzzlement over who on earth would have started my washer, it finally dawned on me! Probably every time my washer drained to a certain level, it started to refill. What a relief! (Until I get the water bill) A little help with the laundry on occasion would be nice, but I would just as soon do it all by myself as have the help of ghosts.

I know, I know, you are all wondering about my mental state at this point. I guess my only excuse is that Halloween is this week and I have weird, freaky things on my mind.


3 comments:

Cherish Cowley said...

I don't know Jill, I think the midget or Caroline is the most logical thing!!!! They probably pushed the chair over and then moved it back.

Michael and Marisa said...

haha thats so funny! Maybe Santa will bring ya a new washer and dryer for Christmas :)

Alane said...

Ha, Ha! Jill, You are too funny! Of course, I do remember telling that story about "Bloody Bones in the Basement"! Or just a washer that needs to be put out of its misery?
Love Alane