Monday, November 10, 2008

Thankful Turkey


This turkey doesn't look all that fancy, but it sure brings back some good memories. Back in 1991 when we lived in California, we made these "Thankful Turkeys" for all of the women in the ward. I was the lucky one that got to cut the turkeys out of burlap. I even broke my favorite pair of scissors doing them. Each year we cut out new feathers and have everyone date the feather and write what they are thankful for that year.


It is so much fun to look back at the feathers through the years and see what everyone was thankful for and how our perspectives have changed. We have a lot of the typical things like the Gospel, family, friends, our country and our house. We have some not quite as traditional like the cats and dogs, books, bottles, McKade's place in-between mom and dad in bed. (That has been a few years ago and he probably had help with that one.)


Tonight for FHE we filled out our feathers again. Since we are down to just three of us left at home, we now have to be thankful for a lot more so we don't have a bald turkey. This year we stuck with pretty typical things other than Mike is so very grateful to have finally paid off his student loan and McKade is grateful that he doesn't have to go to school seven days a week. (Today was a hard, tiring day at school.)


We would also like to take this opportunity to say that we are very grateful for each of you, our family and friends!!!

3 comments:

Shera said...

Hi Jill! Your blog is so cute. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blog list.

Michael and Marisa said...

I am going to make a thankful turket this year. once my sewing machine is unpacked. It has been a lot of fun through the years.

Hanberg's said...

What a great idea. My family always goes around the table and says something, but thats such a good way to always have it, and fun to look back on! Sorry I'm so rude, and didn't even ask about adding you on my blog list. Let me know if thats okay, and yes, you are more than welcome to add ours. It's been fun for me to get to know you and your girls better even if it is through blogging :)